Thursday, March 16, 2017

Toucan Response

Functional Considerations:

The flow of traffic in the Toucan Gallery has been planned fairly well.  There is a wide amount of space to walk throughout the gallery comfortably and safely.

The gallery space has been designed to serve multiple purposes.  The front part of the gallery displays various forms of art created by a number of different artist, while the back part of the gallery serves as a professional frame shop.  The work displayed in the gallery is fairly affordable and features various artists made objects and artworks. Artworks are periodically switched out and do not have receptions.  I do not see any potential problems with traffic flow or the exhibition of artworks.

Formal Considerations:

The typographic aesthetics the Toucan gallery uses is effective.  The work is labled via tag, which is legible and non distracting.

There is visual unity within the displays in the gallery space.  While I was walking through the gallery I felt that the space was ordered in a way that promoted the viewer to further investigate and interact with the work that is being displayed.  It seems like the more high-end art is displayed on the walls and the other artists made objects are displayed on the tables and racks, which seems logical.

The visual style of the gallery seems to be  open and constantly changing.  The Toucan being a multi-purpose gallery, store and frame shop I think the open and constant changing style can give the viewer a new experience every time they come in.

Conceptual considerations:

The Toucan Gallery is a multi-purpose galley, store and frame shop that sells affordable fine art and artists made objects.

The organization of the work in the gallery seems to have a fluid sequence.  A visitor could start anywhere in the gallery and their interpretation of the art would not be influenced by the other work.  I think this fluid sequence is good because the work in the gallery is constantly changing and evolving,

Visitor observations:

I think the most popular aspect of the gallery space for someone under 25 would be the paintings displayed on the wall.  I say this because I am under 25 and I was drawn to them the most. I don't think anything would really be unpopular with people under 25.

I think that people over 25 would find the prices of the work sold in the gallery to be the most popular thing.  I would say this because typically art is expensive and this gallery has a lower price range then most.  I don't think anything would be unpopular among people over the age of 25.

I feel this gallery is designed for individual artists experiences and shared experiences.  I say this because the work that is more consumer based could be experienced the same way by a number of different people.  At the same time the more conceptual based work could be experienced at a more individual level.

If I could change one thing about the gallery space I would do something about the floors, they squeak very loud and were kind of annoying.  Other than that I feel like the owners of this gallery did a very good job.
.


1 comment: